Live Plastic Surgery Videos
Join us on SnapChat to see our doctors perform live procedures
Body Contouring Fat Grafting
Fat Grafting or Fat Transfer
Birmingham, Alabama Fat Grafting and Brazilian Butt Lift Cosmetic Surgery
Fat Grafting, also known as Fat Transfer or Fat Injection, removes excess fat cells from one area of the body and transfers the fat to where it is needed to add volume.
With fat grafting at our Birmingham, Alabama cosmetic surgery center, your body naturally accepts the injected fat because it comes from your own body. Unlike other external implant substances that are introduced into the body, you cannot develop an allergic reaction.
The Brazilian Butt Lift at Hedden Plastic Surgery is a popular fat grafting procedure used for augmentation of the buttocks.
Fat Grafting Procedure
Fat grafting can been used for correcting or improving:
- Facial scarring (for example, acne scars).
- Buttock hypoplasia with the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure.
- Facial aging such as sunken cheeks and facial lines, either by itself or as an adjunct to cosmetic facial surgery.
- Aging of the hands.
- Thin lips with lip enhancement.
- Other areas with a soft tissue defect (for example, fat atrophy after steroid injections).
Fat grafting may be performed at our facility on an outpatient basis. There are three basic parts to the procedure:
- Harvesting — The site is prepared for fat removal by injecting a local anesthetic and/or tumescent solution. A cannula connected to a syringe is inserted through a small incision and used to carefully suck out fat.
- Purification and Transfer — Fat is then purified either by hand or mechanically to obtain fat cells for grafting. The fat cell are prepared for transfer.
- Placement — The graft area is prepared. A small cannula is inserted into the incision point and fat cells are carefully injected. The process is repeated until the desired correction has been achieved.
A moderate amount of swelling is expected after fat grafting. This is usually evident for 2 weeks after the procedure. Some bruising may also be apparent. A percentage of the fat grafts are resorbed by the body and overcorrection may initially be evident. It is currently unknown what percentage of the fat grafts are ultimately resorbed, but modern techniques and instrumentation have decreased this percentage considerably over the past few years.
Fat Injections for Facial Rejuvenation
Fat injections for facial rejuvenation use fat harvested from the patient's own body re-injected to enhance facial fullness, fill creases or build up shallow contours. Fat injection requires a more extensive procedure than Soft Tissue Fillers.
Liposuction is used to extract the fat from a donor area (such as the abdomen or buttocks). The suctioned fat can then be transferred to the face. The grafted fat has to redevelop a blood supply in order to survive. Most of the transferred fat usually survives.
This is a minor surgical procedure that can be performed in the surgeon's treatment room or an operating room.
Procedure Information © American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Please contact our Birmingham, Alabama Cosmetic Center today if you would like to find out more about Fat Grafting or Fat Transfer at Hedden Plastic Surgery.