Live Plastic Surgery Videos
Join us on SnapChat to see live procedures!
About the Practice Meet Dr. Stephen Gunn
J. Stephen Gunn, M.D.
Dr. J. Stephen Gunn combines a high level of surgical expertise with a genuine desire to improve the quality of lives. Dr. Gunn believes that helping you in your quest for aesthetic improvement means working together for a more beautiful you. He is committed to carefully listening to your goals and using the latest options in cosmetic surgery to deliver natural-looking results that can enhance your life and let your confidence soar.
Birmingham, Alabama Cosmetic Surgery
Dr. Stephen Gunn, a native of Decatur, Alabama, returns home after a full decade of extensive training in general and plastic surgery to join our team of distinguished surgeons. Dr. Gunn brings with him a sincere passion for using the latest techniques in cosmetic surgery to bring out your natural beauty with a full spectrum of surgical and nonsurgical procedures.
A highly trained surgeon in Birmingham, Alabama, Dr. Gunn uses skill and precision to perform cosmetic surgical procedures for improving the contours of your body, enhancing the size and shape of your breasts, and rejuvenating your face with a more refreshed, youthful look. With today's rapid advancements in minimally-invasive aesthetic technology, Dr. Gunn can help you achieve beautiful results with botox, dermal fillers and other nonsurgical treatments.
Dr. Gunn works closely with each patient to formulate a surgical plan personalized to complement your goals and your lifestyle. If you are looking for a compassionate surgeon backed by the caring and attentive medical staff of Hedden Plastic Surgery, schedule your free cosmetic surgery consultation with Dr. Stephen Gunn today to learn more about the many available options for fulfilling your aesthetic surgery needs.
A graduate of Auburn University, where he majored in Zoology, Dr. Gunn earned his medical degree (M.D.) from the University of South Alabama College of Medicine in Mobile, Alabama, where he met his wife Holly. Dr. Gunn went on to complete a general surgery residency at Penn State University's Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. His exceptional level of surgical training culminated in a 3-year plastic surgery fellowship at the University of Louisville.
J. Stephen Gunn, M.D. is fully trained and board certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery (ABS). Dr. Gunn is board eligible for certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and a candidate for membership of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
Dr. Gunn has presented at numerous regional and national meetings, including the Robert H. Ivy Plastic Surgery Society, the Kentucky Society of Plastic Surgeons and the Plastic Surgery Research Council. In addition to academic and teaching awards, he was inducted by his peers into the Arnold P. Gold Humanism Honor Society, which recognizes physicians who are exemplars of compassionate patient care and who serve as role models, mentors and leaders in medicine.
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American Board of Surgery — J. Stephen Gunn, M.D. is certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS), one of 24 medical specialty boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- American Board of Plastic Surgery — Dr. Gunn is board eligible for the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS).
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons — Dr. Gunn is a candidate for active membership with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery — Dr. Gunn is a candidate for membership with the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the society solely dedicated to aesthetic procedures.
- American College of Surgeons — Dr. Gunn is a resident member of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), which sets high standards for surgical education and practice.
- American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities — Dr. Gunn performs most procedures at our Outpatient Surgery Suite, which is fully AAAASF accredited for patient safety.
Education & Training
- University of Louisville — Louisville, Kentucky
Plastic Surgery Fellowship, 2014-2017
- Penn State University Milton S. Hershey Medical Center — Hershey, Pennsylvania
General Surgery Residency, 2007-2014
Chief Resident, General Surgery, 2013-2014
Plastic Surgery Research Fellow, 2009-2011
General Surgery Internship, 2007-2008
- University of South Alabama — Mobile, Alabama
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), 2003-2007
Vice President, College of Medicine Surgical Society, 2005-2006
- Auburn University — Auburn, Alabama
Bachelors of Science in Zoology, 1999-2003
Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Golden Key International Honor Society