Buttocks Augmentation in Birmingham AL
A shapely and curvaceous backside is essential to a pleasing and proportionate figure. Unfortunately, the rear end is an area that is difficult to improve upon with exercise alone. Loss of volume in the buttocks can also be experienced by people who lose weight by committing to a healthier lifestyle.
If the buttocks you were born with lack the shape and definition you're looking for, Buttock Implants, or Gluteal Implants, can give you an immediate increase in volume and a fuller appearance to your backside. This buttocks augmentation procedure at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery uses solid silicone implants to enhance the contours of your body with a natural look and a soft feel.
The other primary option for buttocks augmentation at our Birmingham, Alabama cosmetic surgery practice is with fat transfer, known as the Brazilian Butt Lift. With this procedure, body fat is removed from donor area(s) with liposuction, carefully purified and injected at varying depths into the buttocks. Depending on your desired results and the available body fat, fat transfer may be used alone or in conjunction with buttock implants.
Buttock Implants Candidates
You may be a good candidate for buttock implants if:
- You are physically healthy.
- You have realistic expectations.
- You are bothered by the feeling that your butt is too small.
- You are unhappy with the roundness or general shape of your butt.
- Your butt is asymmetrical.
Your Buttock Implants Consultation
During your buttock implants consultation, be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals.
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and previous medical treatments.
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use.
- Previous surgeries.
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors.
- Examine and measure your body.
- Take photographs for your medical records.
- Discuss your options.
- Recommend a course of treatment.
- Discuss likely outcomes of buttock implants surgery and any risks or potential complications.
Be sure to ask questions at your consultation. It is very important to understand all aspects of your buttock implants procedure. It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether preoperative stress or excitement about your anticipated new look. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
Buttock Implants Risks and Safety Information
The decision to have buttocks augmentation surgery with implants is extremely personal. You will have to decide if the benefits, risks and potential complications of buttock implants are acceptable.
The risks of buttock implants procedures include:
- Anesthesia risks.
- Bleeding (hematoma).
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications.
- Fatty tissue under the skin might die (fat necrosis).
- Fluid accumulation (seroma).
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation.
- Pain, which may persist.
- Poor wound healing.
- Possible need for revisionary surgery.
- Recurrent looseness of skin.
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling.
- Skin loss.
- Sutures may spontaneously surface through the skin, become visible or produce irritation and require removal.
- Unfavorable scarring.
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It is important that you address all of your questions directly with your plastic surgeon. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure.
Preparing for Buttock Implants
In preparing for a buttock implants procedure, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation.
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements, as they can increase bleeding.
Buttock implants procedures are performed at our accredited Outpatient Surgery Facility in Birmingham, Alabama. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and stay with you for at least the first night.
Buttock Implants Procedure
Step 1 — Anesthesia
The choices for anesthesia administered during your buttock implants procedure include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 — The Incision
An incision will be made toward the top of both sides of the upper buttocks, toward the bottom in both of the gluteal creases (the areas where your "cheeks" meet the top of the thighs), incisions between both cheeks (hidden in the crease) or with one incision placed down the center of the sacrum, or the crease between the buttocks. The length of the incision and scar is directly related to the affected areas.
Step 3 — Implant Placement
A silicone implant specially made for the buttocks is inserted either in the muscle or above the gluteal muscle on each side. The method for inserting and positioning implants depends on the type of implant, degree of enlargement desired, your body type and your surgeon's recommendations.
Step 4 — Closing the Incisions
The incisions are closed with layered sutures in the buttocks tissue and with sutures, skin adhesive or surgical tape to close the skin.
Step 5 — See the Results
The results of buttock implants procedures are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision lines will fade. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover and realize the fulfillment of your goal for a fuller backside. Results of this surgery are permanent.
Buttock Implants Recovery
After your buttock enhancement with implants procedure, dressings/bandages will be applied to the incisions. Small, thin tubes may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect. You will be taken into a recovery area to be closely monitored, and may be permitted to go home after a few hours.
You will be instructed to wear a support garment around-the-clock following your surgery. Your surgeon will tell you how long you need to wear the garment and if there are any other garments you may have to wear during your recovery.
It's important that the surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, motion, swelling or abrasion during the time of healing.
Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself. Following your physician's instructions is essential to the success of your buttocks augmentation with implants procedure and recovery. These instructions may include:
- How to care for your surgical site(s) following surgery.
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing.
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health.
- How to care for your drains.
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon.
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your buttock implants recovery period:
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- When can I bathe after surgery and how may I bathe?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When will the drains be removed?
- When can I resume normal activity, driving and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
Seek medical attention immediately if you experience shortness of breath, chest pains or unusual heart beats. Should any of these complications occur, you may require hospitalization and additional treatment.
Buttock Implants Results
The results of buttock implants surgery are visible almost immediately. However, it will take some time for the final results to fully develop. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover from surgery.
The tissues will settle a little within the first 3 to 6 months, and the scarring can take up to 2 years to fade to its mature level. Some visible scars will remain, but the overall results are long-lasting provided you maintain a stable weight and general fitness. As your body ages, it is natural to lose some firmness. However, most of your initial improvement should remain.
Although good results are expected from your buttocks augmentation with implants surgery, there is no guarantee. In some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure and another surgery may be necessary.
The results of your buttocks implants surgery will be long-lasting. Over time, your rear end's size and shape can continue to change due to aging and gravity. You'll be able to retain your new look longer if you maintain your weight and a healthy lifestyle.
Procedure Information © American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Buttocks Augmentation with Buttock Implants at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery uses solid silicone implants for an increase in volume and a fuller appearance to your backside.
Birmingham, AL Office & Surgery SuitesHedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery
140 Village Street
Birmingham, AL 35242
205-980-1744 or 800-HeddenMD * Dr. William Hedden, Dr. Stephen Gunn
Contact Us Today
Questions About Body Contouring?
Contact our Birmingham, Alabama plastic surgeons today to learn more about Buttocks Augmentation with Implants at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery.
To schedule your consultation at the earliest possible date, please call 205-980-1744.
required fields are marked with an asterisk *