2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics Reveal Body Enhancement Trends
ASPS Reports Surges in Body Sculpting Procedures
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
March 11, 2019
Almost a quarter million more cosmetic procedures were performed in 2018 than in the previous year, according to the 2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). More than 17.7 million surgical and minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in the United States in 2018 the report said, a number that has risen steadily over the past 5 years.
The statistics reveal a rise in new trends in body shaping procedures, with a spike in non-invasive fat reduction as well as surgeries such as breast augmentations and liposuction.
Top 5 Cosmetic Surgical and Minimally-Invasive Procedures
Of the more than 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures performed in 2018, the top 5 were:
- Breast augmentation (313,735 procedures, up 4% from 2017)
- Liposuction (258,558 procedures, up 5%)
- Nose reshaping (213,780 procedures, down 2%)
- Eyelid surgery (206,529 procedures, down 1%)
- Tummy tuck (130,081 procedures, about the same as 2017)
Among the 15.9 million cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures performed in 2018, the top 5 were:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (7.44 million procedures, up 3% from 2017)
- Soft Tissue Fillers (2.68 million procedures, up 2%)
- Chemical Peel (1.38 million procedures, up 1%)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 1%)
- Microdermabrasion (709,413 procedures, down 4%)
Year of the Body
Three of the top five surgical procedures focus on the body, and in 2018 there was an increase in all three. More than 12,000 more liposuction procedures were performed in 2018 than in 2017, while breast augmentation increased by 4%. There were also surges in other body sculpting procedures such as buttock augmentation and thigh lift.