New Statistics Reveal the Shape of Plastic Surgery
American Society of Plastic Surgeons Report Shows Rise in Body Shaping and Non-Invasive Procedures
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
March 1, 2018
New data released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) shows continued growth in cosmetic procedures over the last year. According to the annual plastic surgery statistics, 17.5 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in the United States in 2017, a 2% increase over 2016.
The statistics also reveal that Americans are turning to new and innovative ways to shape their bodies, as minimally invasive cosmetic procedures have increased nearly 200% since 2000.
Top 5 cosmetic surgical, minimally-invasive procedures
Minimally invasive cosmetic procedures grew at a slightly higher rate than surgical procedures in 2017. While three of the top-five surgical procedures focused on the body, the top minimally invasive procedures focused on the face.
Of the nearly 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures performed in 2017, the top 5 were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 procedures, up 5 percent from 2016)
- Nose reshaping (218,924 procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 procedures, approximately the same as 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
Among the 15.7 million cosmetic minimally invasive procedures performed in 2017, the top 5 were:
- Botulinum Toxin Type A (7.23 million procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
- Soft Tissue Fillers (2.69 million procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Chemical Peel (1.37 million procedures, up 1 percent since 2016)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Microdermabrasion (740,287 procedures, down 4 percent from 2016)
Spike in Breast Reductions
After a 4% decline in 2016, there was a dramatic spike in breast reduction surgeries in 2017, increasing by 11%. Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammaplasty, is a procedure to remove excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body.
Body sculpting, non-invasive fat procedures boom
More people are choosing to shape different parts of their bodies using ultrasound, radio frequency, infrared light, vacuum massage and injectable medication to reduce fat cells. Non-invasive procedures to eliminate fat and tighten the skin are gaining popularity, with the fastest growing procedure (cellulite treatments) up nearly 20% over last year.
Current non-invasive fat reduction and skin tightening procedures continue to gain popularity:
- Non-invasive fat reduction procedures that use special technology to "freeze away" fat without surgery increased 7%
- Non-surgical cellulite treatments that use lasers to eliminate fat increased 19% (up 55% since 2000)
- Non-invasive skin tightening procedures that target fat and tighten sagging areas increased 9%