Kybella Infographic | Double Chin Treatment Birmingham, AL
Many men and women are impacted by the dreaded "double chin." Even those who are vigilant with diet and exercise may experience this condition because of genetics, weight gain and aging.
KYBELLA® is the first injectable treatment FDA approved to physically destroy fat cells beneath the chin. Birmingham, Alabama Kybella treatments at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery are tailored for each patient based on the amount and distribution of their submental fat.
KYBELLA® (deoxycholic acid) is the first and only FDA-approved injectable treatment to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin by physically destroying fat cells.1
Submental fullness, also known as "double chin," is a common concern among facial aesthetic oriented patients. A 2015 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery survey found nearly as many people are bothered by their double chin (67%) as by lines and wrinkles around the eyes (69%).2
Submental fullness can impact both men and women. Possible causes include genetics, weight gain and aging. Sometimes, even with diet or exercise, unwanted fullness beneath the chin may not go away, and can cause a person to appear older or heavier than they are.3,4
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat.5
When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA® physically destroys fat cells, making them unable to accumulate or store fat.1,6
Once destroyed, fat cleared from the treatment area is processed through the body's natural metabolic mechanisms.7
KYBELLA® is injected during a series of in-office visits. The injection process may take 15 to 20 minutes.1
Treatment with KYBELLA® is tailored for each patient. The healthcare provider will help determine how many treatment sessions a patient will need based on the amount and distribution of their submental fat and personal treatment goals. Up to six treatments may be administered, spaced no less than one month apart.1
KYBELLA® patients report improvement in the visual and emotional impact of submental fat when asked how happy, bothered, self-conscious, embarrassed, old and overweight they felt with respect to the amount of their submental fat after they received treatment.1
In clinical studies, 79% of people treated with KYBELLA® had improved satisfaction with the appearance of the area beneath their chin (compared with 34% of people treated with placebo) 12 weeks after their last treatment.8
As part of a clinical development program, KYBELLA® has been evaluated in more than 20 clinical studies. More than 1,600 people have been treated with KYBELLA®. 9
The most common side effects swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and areas of hardness in the treatment area.1
For most patients, downtime occurred most commonly after the first treatment session. You should be able to resume your normal daily activities, but are likely to have swelling, so keep your social plans and work commitments in mind when scheduling your treatment.1,9
KYBELLA® is now part of the Brilliant Distinctions® Program. To date, 2 million members have enrolled in Allergan's Brilliant Distinctions program. Brilliant Distinctions members earn points on every treatment and can redeem those points for savings on KYBELLA® or other Allergan facial aesthetic products.
KYBELLA® Indication and Important Safety Information
- KYBELLA® is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called "double chin."
- It is not known if KYBELLA® is safe and effective for use outside of the submental area or in children under the age of 18.
- You should not receive KYBELLA® if you have an infection in the treatment area.
- KYBELLA® Product Label, 2015
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery 2015 Consumer Survey on Cosmetic Dermatologic Procedures (N=7,315); Exact survey language was, "How bothered are you by excess fat under the chin/neck?" 2015
- Rzany. Reduction of unwanted submental fat with ATX-101 (deoxycholic acid), an adipocytolytic 1
- DeFatta R, Ducic Y. Liposuction of the face and neck. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology. 2007; 18:261-266.
- Stryer. "Biosynthesis of Membrane Lipids and Steroids." 1995
- Thuangtong, Rattapon. "Tissue-Selective Effects of Injected Deoxycholate". 2010
- Rotunda, Adam. "Injectable Treatments for Adipose Tissue: Terminology, Mechanism, and Tissue Interaction." 2009
- Integrated Summary of Efficacy
- CENTER FOR DRUG EVALUATION AND RESEARCH, MEDICAL REVIEW(S). 2014
Contact Us Today
Questions About Injectable Treatments?
If you have any questions about Kybella or would like to schedule an appointment for facial rejuvenation at Hedden & Gunn Plastic Surgery, please contact our Alabama practice today.
please complete all fields