Live Plastic Surgery Videos
Join us on SnapChat to see our doctors perform live procedures
About the Practice Meet Dr. Christopher Schaffer
Christopher J. Schaffer, M.D.
Dr. Christopher J. Schaffer has a true passion for excellence in the art of cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Dr. Schaffer uses his extensive experience to help patients see their potential in a new light along with a commitment to their complete safety and satisfaction. Dr. Schaffer is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Birmingham, Alabama Plastic Surgery
Dr. Christopher Schaffer is nationally acclaimed as an expert and an innovator in the field of plastic surgery. With outstanding surgical skills honed over many years and a sincere desire to help improve the quality of lives, Dr. Schaffer aims to deliver the very best in aesthetic results and an exceptional level of patient care and support.
Dr. Schaffer is highly trained and experienced in the latest aesthetic procedures, including facial plastic surgery, breast enhancement and body contouring. He is a member of the Mentor LEAD Advisory Board, a prestigious group of plastic surgeons selected for their leadership and experience in molding the future of breast augmentation. Dr. Schaffer is also recognized as a Top Doctor on RealSelf.com for empowering his patients with open communication.
Dr. Schaffer majored in Life Sciences at the University of Nebraska before earning his medical doctorate (M.D.) from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He then completed residencies in general surgery at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia and Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. His advanced training continued with a plastic surgery residency at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Dr. Schaffer served for 16 years in the Army Reserve Medical Corps, obtaining the rank of Major, and was deployed in Iraq.
A board-certified plastic surgeon in Birmingham, Alabama, Dr. Christopher Schaffer is a member of several esteemed professional organizations, including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the Alabama Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery.
Renowned for the highest standards of cosmetic surgery excellence and an unmatched attention to detail, Dr. Schaffer's dedication to improving your appearance, self-image and confidence is the cornerstone of his practice philosophy. His knowledge, surgical talents and compassionate manner ensure that you are guided by caring hands throughout your experience at Hedden Plastic Surgery.
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American Board of Plastic Surgery — Dr. Schaffer is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), one of 24 medical specialty boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons — Dr. Schaffer is an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the world's largest plastic surgery specialty organization.
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery — Dr. Schaffer is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), the society solely dedicated to aesthetic procedures.
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery — Dr. Schaffer is a member of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS), which is dedicated to medical laser and energy applications.
- American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities — Dr. Schaffer performs most procedures at our Outpatient Surgery Suite, which is fully AAAASF accredited for patient safety.
Education & Training
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) — Birmingham, Alabama
Plastic Surgery Residency, 2000
- Vanderbilt University Hospital — Nashville, Tennessee
General Surgery Residency, 1998
- Temple University Hospital — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
General Surgery Residency, 1994
- University of Nebraska Medical Center — Omaha, Nebraska
Medical School, 1992
- University of Nebraska — Lincoln, Nebraska