Fat Grafting, Fat Injection or Fat Transfer
Fat Grafting is also called free fat transfer, liposculpture, lipostructure, structural fat grafting and fat injections. This is a procedure which removes excess fat cells from one area of the body and then transfers the fat to where it is needed.
The advantage of fat grafting at our Birmingham, Alabama cosmetic surgery center is that the fat comes from your own body, so you cannot develop an allergic reaction unlike other external implant substances that are introduced into the body. Your body naturally accepts the injected fat.
The Brazilian Butt Lift is a popular fat grafting procedure at Hedden Plastic Surgery used for augmentation of the buttocks.
Fat Grafting Birmingham, Alabama at Hedden Plastic Surgery
Fat grafting can been used for correcting or improving:
- Facial scarring, e.g., acne scars.
- Buttock hypoplasia with the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure.
- Facial aging such as sunken cheeks and facial lines, either by itself or as an adjunct to cosmetic facial surgery.
- Aging of the hands.
- Thin lips with lip enhancement.
- Other areas of the body where there is a soft-tissue defect, e.g., fat atrophy after steroid injections.
Fat grafting may be performed at our facility on an outpatient basis. There are basically three parts to the procedure:
- Harvest — The site is prepared for removal of fat by injecting a local anesthetic and/or tumescent solution. A cannula connected to a syringe is inserted through a small incision and carefully sucks out fat.
- Purification and Transfer — Fat is then purified either by hand or mechanically to obtain fat cells for grafting. The fat cell are prepared for transfer.
- Placement — The graft area is prepared. A small cannula is inserted into the incision point and fat cells are carefully injected. The process is repeated until the desired correction has been achieved.
A moderate amount of swelling is expected after the fat graft. This is usually evident for 2 weeks after the procedure. Some bruising may also be apparent. A percentage of the fat grafts are resorbed by the body and overcorrection may initially be evident. It is currently unknown what percentage of the fat grafts are ultimately resorbed, but modern techniques and instrumentation have decreased this percentage considerably over the past few years.
Please contact our Birmingham, Alabama Cosmetic Center today if you would like to find out more about Fat Grafting or Fat Transfer at Hedden Plastic Surgery.
Contact Us Today
Hedden Plastic Surgery & Spa Greystone
Greystone Cosmetic Center
140 Village St., Suite 100
Birmingham, AL 35242
phone: (205) 980-1744
toll-free: (800) 433-3366
The Brazilian Butt Lift is an increasingly popular cosmetic surgery procedure designed to give you a more rounded and flattering rear end.