Meet Dr. Hedden
About the Practice Dr. William Hedden
William J. Hedden, M.D.
Dr. William Hedden
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. William J. Hedden is dedicated to excellence in plastic surgery with a personal touch. He firmly believes that excellence in cosmetic surgery means exceeding expectations. Dr. Hedden is passionate about helping his patients see their dreams become reality with aesthetic surgery by achieving a beautiful appearance and a true sense of inner happiness.
As nationally renowned expert in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery, Dr. William Hedden is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is extensively trained and experienced in the latest surgical and minimally-invasive procedures for the face, breasts, body, face, hair and skin.
Dr. Hedden is a recipient of the Patients' Choice Award, which recognizes doctors who consistently receive top patient ratings. He has also received distinction by being named to the Mentor LEAD Advisory Board, a select group of plastic surgeons chosen for their leadership in breast augmentation.
Dr. Hedden is a graduate of the University of Florida, where he majored in sculpting and anatomy. He earned his medical doctorate from the University of South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa, Florida. Thereafter, he completed residencies at Louisiana State University Medical Center in Shreveport, Louisiana, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. William Hedden is a member of a number of prestigious professional organizations, including:
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Alabama Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Jefferson Medical Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Alabama Medical Association
Dr. Hedden is affiliated with several Birmingham, Alabama area hospitals, including Trinity Medical Center, Brookwood Medical Center and Children's Hospital.
Certifications and Professional Memberships
- American Board of Plastic Surgery — Dr. Hedden is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), which is one of 24 specialty boards that comprise the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Certification by the ABPS is attained by completing extensive training and passing rigorous examinations.
- American Board of Surgery — Dr. Hedden is a Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery (ABS), which is also a specialty board of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). The ABS was founded in 1937 for the purpose of certifying surgeons who have met a defined standard of education, training and knowledge.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons — Dr. Hedden is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), which is the largest organization of board-certified plastic surgeons in the world. ASPS comprises more than 90% of all board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States. The Society represents physicians certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery — Dr. Hedden is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), which is the leading professional organization of plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specialize in cosmetic plastic surgery, and is an ASAPS delegate to the American Medical Association Young Physicians Section.
- American College of Surgeons — Dr. Hedden is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), the largest organization of surgeons in the world. The College is a scientific and educational association of surgeons that was founded in 1913 to improve the quality of care for the surgical patient by setting high standards for surgical education and practice.
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery — Dr. Hedden is a member of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS), which promotes excellence in patient care by advancing biomedical application of lasers and other related technologies. The vision of the ASLMS is to be the world's preeminent resource for biomedical laser and other related technologies research, education and clinical knowledge.
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery — Dr. Hedden is a member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS), which consists of physicians specializing in alopecia and hair loss. The ISHRS provides continuing education to physicians specializing in hair transplant and restoration surgery and presents the latest information on medical hair restoration and nonsurgical treatment for hair loss.
- Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons — Dr. Hedden is a member of the Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (SESPRS), whose objectives are to maintain professional excellence, provide for the exchange of information, and promote medical and surgical training and research.
Education & Training
- Broward Community College — Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Associate of Arts (with honors), 1984
- University of Florida — Gainesville, Florida
Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (with honors), 1987
- University of South Florida — Tampa, Florida
Doctorate of Medicine, 1993
- Louisiana State University Medical Center — Shreveport, Louisiana
Resident in Surgery, 1994-1999
Diplomat to National Board of Medical Examiners, 1994
Chief Resident, 1998-1999
- University of Alabama at Birmingham — Birmingham, Alabama
Resident in Plastic Surgery, 1999-2001